Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Our New and Improved Reading List

School officially started on August 25 for us and that is also when our new reading program was implemented. Don't get me wrong, we read plenty last year and the years before. In fact, I've been reading to both my children daily since the day they were born (that's right...I actually had some books in my hospital bag!) but August 25 marked the beginning of a new era in terms of book selection. In the past, I always picked books to match our weekly theme and based on the kids' interests. This year, it's different. My oldest being 6 years old (and in his first grade), I knew thematic units would not be a weekly occurrence but I also knew that I want to shift my focus during our storytime: I wanted to deepen his reading comprehension. What's more...his little 3 year old sister wouldn't mind. She'd still enjoy the stories and could very well participate in our discussions afterwards. So here is, without further introduction, the book list I created for one of our concept explored:  Key details (who, when, when, what, how, why, of the story) ! These were the books we read during the week of August 25.

DSC_0453
A sample of what we read this week...

Great Books to look for key details:

Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
Elmer by David McKee
The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen Croning
Weslandia by Paul Fleischman
If you Were a Penguin by Florence Minor
The Librarian Who Measured the Earth by Kathryn Lasky
Fire! Fire! by Gail Gibbons
How Much, How Many, How Far, How Heavy, How Tall is 1000? by Helen Nolan
Hungry, Hungry, Sharks by Joana Cole

Of course, not every single book was a big hit but others were! I've even been asked to get some of these titles for our ever growing private collection. When picking books, I try to make a conscious effort to include both poetry and prose, fiction and non-fiction, short books and long books. I also try to pick multicultural titles here and there. 

This list does not include what Adrian reads on his own either. The books above are only the ones we read aloud. Later, I'll post about our guided reading sessions and our leveled reading list.


* * *

Never Miss the Latest Post:
Follow Sorting Sprinkles on Facebook or
Sign Up for Post Delivery Directly to Your Inbox!

* * *


No comments:

Post a Comment